Friday, November 5, 2010

The Point Of The Point

Last August my buddy was down here in California for a visit. While he was here he showed me the fountain pen he has been using. It was a Pilot Vanishing Pen with a Fine Nib on it. It was very cool, but I didn't think that it would work for my mazes or for writing in my journal. I write very small and draw narrow passage ways. I didn't think a fountain pen could handle it. He let me try it and I was surprised to find that it was capable of detailed work. I didn't buy one right away. I waited a week, and I have been using one, actually two, of them ever since.

What was the point of the thread of posts about the Ball Point Pens? Just that I like to run them out. I could have just said that, but that is not my usual way. I mean, if I would have said, “Hey Dude, I like fountain pens”, you may have thought that I was some kind of crank. After reading my earlier posts you will see that I have a very good reason for liking them, dude.

The great thing about fountain pens is that they run out of ink much more often than ball point pens do. While you are sleeping all comfy in your bed at night, I am carrying out scientific research into just how much more often they do run dry. No, I'm not asking for a medal, it is what I do. Then there are literally hundreds, maybe thousands of different inks to try. It is a whole 'n other world. So in the last year I have purchased four fountain pens. While that might seem like a lot, it is fairly restrained compared to many addicts.

Take this gentleman for example. It is clear that he likes his pens. Notice that this is part one of his collection. I'll spare you further episodes, but I think I'm a bit jealous.





Some people have enough money that they can take their addictions to extremes.




Addicts such as these have an online meeting place called the Fountain Pen Network. Yes, I'm a registered member, but haven't made any posts there. Yet.



Here, completely off topic and with no point in mind, but because it came up as a related video for some unknown reason, are three fellows and their cellos. There may be a connection I'm just not seeing.



Yes, I know that it is sooooo 2007, but I don't get out much.

Jonathan

3 comments:

  1. Dude. (laughs remembering the really bad movie you made us watch on our last visit.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I have a 'better' one somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! (zoom in on horrified face)

    ReplyDelete