Saturday, November 13, 2010

Drawing The Line - 2

Yesterday was one of those brilliant Autumn days, with bright blue sky, yellow, green and red leaves and a sun that came as a warm friend. This is my favorite kind of day, except for a fresh Spring morning where you can almost hear the growing things all around you. Or one of those lazy Summer afternoons when it is all you can do to stay awake to read while you sip Mint Julips in the shade of some ancient oak tree. Or of course, those cold rainy days snuggled up inside with all the excuse you need to spend the day watching football games. Let's just say that yesterday was the kind of day that makes my top four.

Anyway, instead of sitting up in my room working on the Ink Drop Maze, I played hooky. I decided to take advantage of the weather to roll out some more of my Line Around The World. Since this was going to be the first venture out of the apartment complex I knew it should be a short line segment. It took only a little over an hour to prepare three rolls of cash register tape. After throwing them and a few other things in my backpack, I headed out to where the line had left off.


Here it is with the next line segment attached.

I headed East out of the complex because I haven't decided how I'm going to handle things like the Pacific Ocean. It is only thirty miles away, so it is best to postpone that challenge. Here is the end of the 6th roll of tape.



It was just after this that I meet a very nice older lady (probably 80 years old at least) on her way out to do her grocery shopping with her caregiver. When I told her I was on my way around the world she seemed amazed and happy. Why she should be so happy that I'm going around the world, I don't know. We just met. I can understand why my wife is happy about it. We talked a bit as I helped her to her van. She waved as they drove away and I wished that I had gotten her address so that I could send her postcards. She would get a kick out of it.

Here is the end of the 7th roll.

And here is the end of the 8th roll. Notice how the wind has pushed the line out in the street a bit.




And here is the very end of the 8th roll.


It made it to the intersection. Now I will have to decide which direction to continue.

Here is the view North:


Here is the view East:



And here is the view South:



It will take some thinking to decide which is the best way to go!
Instead of carefully rolling the line back up like I did last time, I had to just gather it up in handfuls. Here it is at home again.


And now all rolled up again.


Now, it is back to the Ink Drop maze. Remember, Sunday is a day off for me, but there will be another page of my maze up on Monday.

Jonathan


2 comments:

  1. North! North! Then you and the line can visit us as you pass by.

    Maybe the lady had a dream to do the same thing once upon a time but gave it up and was so happy and amazed to come across you and the line carrying on her dream...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lawrence said...

    That's super cool! I can't wait to see the next update on this!!!!

    ReplyDelete