Friday, November 26, 2010

Drawing the Line - 6

Last week, while we were still in our Indian Summer, I took the opportunity to roll out the Line an extra time. This was so that I could get a segment 'in the can'. No, I don't mean visiting the restroom. I mean so that I would have the material to do a post about the Line even if the weather is gets too bad some week in the future. Or if I'm too busy with one of my other projects to roll out a segment.

Anyway, this Line segment was rolled out last Wednesday. If I get my tenses wrong, it is just because I get confused easily. I try to roll out the Line during the late morning hours. After commute time and before the wind kicks up around noon.

So, I threw four prepared rolls of cash register tape in my back pack and walked the 1,360 feet to where the last Line segment ended. Remember it was past the gas station and just past a mail box. After rolling out the 11th roll of the Line, this is what it looked like.


Following the normal Line rolling procedures, I connected the 12th roll and continued to roll. After 12 rolls the Line arrived here.


Attaching the 13th roll and continuing on, we got to here.


If you look close you can see a grandmother and her grandchild walking along the Line. I wondered what the kid would think about the long strip of paper laying on the sidewalk. I don't think he even noticed it. It was apparently just another small part of the big world to him.

Anyway attaching the 14th and final roll of the day, I continued on and got to here.


This is the very end of the Line.


It was disappointing that I didn't get to talk to anybody this time. There were some college students on their way to class, but they seemed to be avoiding me by crossing to the other side of the street. Well, they are Santa Clara University students and not UC Berkeley students after all.

While I was gathering up the Line a UPS truck began to pull into one of the driveways to a apartment complex. When he saw the Line in front of him, he stopped and looked over at me to see if it was OK to cross it. I waved him on and he called out, "Sorry!" It is amazing how cooperative people have been during the project so far. All except for the day time guy at the gas station.

As I was walking back to base with my Line, I stopped at the station to buy more Pink Popcorn. Now that I was past the station, the guy in there was quite friendly. He had just been afraid of what his boss would have said about the Line snaking through the station. I can see his point.

So, thus far you have seen 1,880 feet of the Line Around The World. Stay tuned, it is only going to get better!

Jonathan



2 comments:

  1. The Line is really rolling along! When do you calculate that you and the Line will be passing through?

    Have you thought about carrying a sign that states "The Line is Art" or "Art in progress" or something like that? Folks might be more inclined to stop and chat.

    And what did you think of Mark's idea for the Line? I think he emailed you about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good questions! I'll break out a calculator and see what I come up with as a ballpark guessimate of the date.

    I'm thinking of a hat. A special Line drawing hat that will show people that I'm doing Art.

    I think Mark's idea is great except the bidding probably would not be very energetic yet. I'll probably need to wait until I've done 1,000 miles or so.

    ReplyDelete