Saturday, December 11, 2010

Musical Interlude - 4

For my last musical interlude I introduced the classic band Renaissance. The music business is completely foreign to me. How they decide which category each band belongs in is beyond me. There is a school of thought that Renaissance belongs in the Progressive Rock category, along with bands such as Yes, Traffic, King Crimson and even Jethro Tull. I don't know. It seems very arbitrary to me. The main thing most of the bands under the label Progressive Rock (Prog Rock) seem to share is minimal radio air play.

Be that as it may, there is at least one magazine devoted to covering Prog Rock. It is well that they cover this type of music since the name of the magazine is Prog Rock.. A couple of weeks ago I happened upon a copy of this magazine in a Borders Bookstore. I perused it without buying it. I was curious if Renaissance was mentioned. I didn't see that band, but I saw lots and lots of others. Yes, had a big article in there.

Way in the back was a list of less well known bands and their albums. One of these bands was called Indica. It was new to me, so I made a note of the name in my Rhoda #11 notebook using my Noodler's roller ball fountain pen. When I got home, I brought up YouTube and searched for 'Indica'. This is what I found.

This is the English version of one of their hits:






This next video is the Finnish version. They are a Finnish band. This is probably the music my favorite racing driver listens to before a race. Or from what I gather, quite possibly during the race itself. He is a Finnish driver named Kimi Raikkonen who put the fun in Formula One.






I prefer the Finnish version myself. I can't put my finger on what it is, but there is something appealing about this band. And the song is pretty catchy too. But is it Prog Rock? Who cares?


Tomorrow is a day off, but on Monday I will have the next page of the first maze for you.

Jonathan

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, for the days of Renaissance. Well, I guess that makes me "old". Indica's pretty good, though. As for that something appealing about it- hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete