Friday, December 3, 2010

Drawing The Line - 7

As I mentioned last Friday, I rolled out this Line Segment last Wednesday while while my brother and his wife were visiting. It turns out that it was quite handy to have another couple of people along to help, as it was windy. This was a landmark segment because it included the first intersection crossing. It wasn't a busy one but in another couple of weeks I will be crossing one much busier. This segment was also the last for the original pen.

Which brings me to the question Midori asked in a comment. When will the Line and I arrive in their neck of the woods? Mark and Midori live roughly 692 miles away from me. That is by the most direct route which I will not be able to use while drawing my Line. But let's use that for these calculations. So far I have been moving ahead at a pace of about 520 feet per week. That is a roughly determined rate not including the time I spent working on technical issues. 692 miles equals 3,653,760 feet. Divide that by the 520 feet per week and we get 7,027 weeks. Ah, that sounds like a lot. What is that in years? 135.124 or 135 years 1 and ½ months.

So Midori, I guess I be up there in about the year 2145. The good news is that I can speed up a bit. If I do two posts a week, I can cut the time in half! That will make the year 2078 the target year. I hope you don't already have plans for those days guys. I'll probably need to stay a couple of days.

Anyway back to last Wednesday's Line roll out. Three rolls of cash register tape where prepared and we walked to where the last segment ended. We started from there.

Here is the start of roll 15. I was still using the original pen.


Then came the first road crossing operation.


The wind played havoc with the Line during the crossing.



Here is the end of roll 16.


It was around here that an older guy that reminded me of a Drill Instructor came up to us and asked if we were going to clean up our mess. I assured him that we would in less than half an hour. And I want to assure all of you readers that I do recover every inch of the line and roll it up when I get home. It is one of the main reasons that I roll out such short segments. Any longer and I might lose control of the Line. Anyway, you can sort of see the guy striding off in the picture.

And here is the spot that the original pen ran out of ink. Shocking really! I continued on using the Refillable Noodler's Roller Ball pen I mentioned in an earlier post.


Here is the end of roll 17.


Looking back from the end of roll 17 we see this. I'm standing in the second intersection.



 While I was at the end of the Line the Drill Instructor guy came back and talked with my brother David asking what was going on. So David got to tell him the story. “He is drawing a Line around the world. He is an artist and you know how they are.” David said that the guy was satisfied with that explanation, so I guess it is a good line.

From now on I'm going to try to pick up the pace on this Project. Weather permitting I will have two updates a week for you. I have places to go and people to meet!

Jonathan



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up on the arrival year, 2078. Don't have a calendar for that year yet but we'll pencil in the date as soon as you let us know! Making good progress!

    I can hear your brother explaining the situation to the drill instructor and shrugging his shoulders. Pretty cool! The Line has been accepted as Art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry said


    I love drwaing a line!!!! I want more updates and look forward to many more to come!!!

    ReplyDelete