Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Drawing The Line – 8

In order to meet my self imposed deadline for reaching Mark and Midori's place by the year 2078, I've decided to make two updates a week on my Line Around The World Project. These updates will be done on Tuesdays and Fridays from now on. I'll really be zipping along.

The segment which I'm showing today was rolled out on Wednesday December 1st. I'll have to set the time in my camera to the correct date or I will really be confused later. It was a pretty darn barren day as far as meeting anybody, but I came up with a really good idea for how to generate more meetings with people. More on that later.

For this segment I prepared 5 rolls of cash register tape, packed them up and walked the 2,270 feet to where the previous Line Segment ended. Remember, I was standing in the second intersection when the roll of tape finished. I decided to start this segment on the sidewalk instead. That means there will be a slight overlap in the line.

Here is the crossing of that second intersection with roll 18.


 Here is the view from the end of roll 18.


Part of the process of crossing an intersection is rolling up the part of the Line in the street after wards. For some reason some people are reluctant to cross the tape when they see me there. I appreciate their support of the Arts, but if a traffic jam occurs the police may come around and I'd have to explain what I'm doing to someone that could arrest me. They might not be art patrons.

Here is the view from the end of roll 19.



Here is roll 20.


Here is roll 21.


I'm passing a school here and some teachers have looked over at me. Some parents pulled up in a car and were carrying in trays of food or something and they stopped to look at what I was doing, but they didn't ask anything.

And here is the 22nd roll.


This is the end of this Line segment. It is still in front of the school.



There it is. Thus far I've covered 0.55 of a mile and what a journey it has been! Things will pick up from now on. To help break the ice with strangers and to make them feel at ease, but at the same time make them aware that they are watching something different, I got a hat to wear while I'm drawing the Line. You will get to see this in an upcoming post. I know you are all excited!

Jonathan

2 comments:

  1. Larry said


    This is awesome! I can't wait to hear more stories about people and the reaction it gets!!!

    keep it coming!!!!

    ReplyDelete