Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Drawing The Line - 13

This segment of my Line Around The World was rolled out in the early morning hours of December 24th. I chose to do it at that time because the Line would be crossing a very busy street. Even after midnight when it was rolled out, several cars ran over the Line. But it didn't break.

As usual I packed up four prepared rolls of cash register tape and this time jammed my Mad Hatter hat on my head since I didn't expect to see anybody out there. Instead of walking to the starting point 5,000 feet away, I drove over there.

Here is the start of roll 39.




Here is the end of that roll. At this point I could hear a bunch of people up ahead laughing and talking.




Here is the end of roll 40. Off to the right of this picture a group of young people milled about doing what I believe the natives call 'partying'. When the flash went off I heard a shout go up from some of them in surprise. “No pictures! There can't be any evidence!” someone cried. I hurried back along the Line a bit and saw that the shouters were joking around.



“I'm just drawing a line around the world,” I explained.

“Good idea,” one of several tall young men said.

“How are you going to get to Asia?”, a tall young woman who seem to be attached to the young man asked. Well, as you know, I haven't quite figured that bit out yet.

“I haven't figured that part out yet.” I explained.

The young man, who I suspect had been indulging in intoxicating refreshment of some kind suggested, “A kayak. That would work.”

The young woman gave the guy a look that I have seen from my wife many times. It is the look that means, “Idiot!”

Anyway, a simple Line Around The World was hardly exciting enough to keep these youngsters from their party for long and I was able to get back to work.

Here is the start of my crossing of Homestead. This is also the end of the first mile of the Line.





This is the view of the end of roll 41. I left the Line out there in the street.



And here is the end of roll 42.



That is about it. By the time I had gathered up the Line to where the party had been, everyone was inside. As I finished gathering up the Line I saw a big fat falling star to the South East. It was blueish in color.

From now on the area is even more commerical and busy. It will be interesting to see how it goes.


Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment