Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Goulet Pens May 2011 Ink Drop - Part 2

The plan for my testing of the May Ink Drop samples from the Goulet Pen Company is to draw a single maze consisting of several pages. I thought it would be only three pages, but I now know it will be at least four pages. It will be a relatively simple maze despite being several pages long. I will post the scanned pages in the finale post for the May Ink Drop.

The first page was drawn using two of the month's samples. These are the Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki and the Noodler's Cactus Fruit Eel. Both of these inks are great in their own way. Without a doubt the Kon-Peki is superior in several respects, the most important is in drying time. It dries very quickly. I had a single small smudge in all the work I've done with it so far. The ink doesn't seem to shade at all. It looks quite a bit darker when it is first put on the paper than it does once it is dry. It is a blue very similar to Private Reserve Lake Placid Blue, but since there is no shading the line is much more consistent. I like this ink very much.

The Noodler's Cactus Fruit Eel is a very nice red-purple ink. Like many of the Noodler's inks it takes some time to dry. Not anywhere near the time that last month's Black Swan in English Roses takes, but long enough that I had to be very careful to avoid smudging. With the fine nib Pilot pen I was using there isn't any shading to speak of. I like the color and it is a fine ink, but not my favorite.


Here is a picture of this page of the maze. It is not complete yet. I haven't put in the node numbers and won't until I get all the linework of the pages done. Also shown are the two Pilot Vanishing Point pens I used. By the way Goulet Pens is now selling these and at a better price than I paid for mine.



Here is a page from my fifth maze that I did with the same inks and pens. If you look close you can see where the Noodler's Cactus Fruit Eel smeared a little.




That's it for now!

Jonathan


No comments:

Post a Comment