Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Drawing The Line - 19

Finally I had to shallow the fact that Subway was not going to come through with any sponsorship for my Line Around The World Project. Of course I haven't actually asked them if they would sponsor it. In fact I doubt if they have any idea that such a project exists. For now the financing of this huge undertaking is entirely up to me. Fortunately the end of the Line is still within walking distance from my digs. Unfortunately the end of the Line is still within walking distance of my digs. I have fallen far behind the schedule I calculated in an earlier post. So it is time to get to work.

After the segments out on the wild coast of Big Sur, the sidewalks of Santa Clara make a rather pedestrian backdrop. I had been rather nervous about continuing the Line now that it has reached busier streets. Stage fright. That's why I rolled this segment out in the morning. Not very many people were out and about at seven in the morning, at least not on foot.

Here is the start of the segment, roll 63.




Almost immediately I had to cross a street. This street goes down to a busy post office so I had do a full scale street crossing operation here.


This is the view back from the end of roll 63. Notice that the section in the street has already been removed by me. The person in the view is someone walking to work or school. They are about to hear my usual, "Hi, I'm drawing a line around the world."


For some reason the lady just smiled, nodded and walked away even faster. Here is the view from the end of roll 64.


Here is a shot of the view looking along roll 64 to the west.


Here is the view back from the end of roll 65. The building to the left was once the location of a bakery. It closed a couple of years ago. No new business has moved in yet.


This next picture is looking south at the start of roll 66.


Here is the end of roll 66 looking south. The guy in the car responded to my, "Hi, I'm drawing a line around the world", with, "You've got a long way to go."



This is looking north from the end of roll 66. There was one of those vacuum trucks heading my way.




When it got even with me the driver yelled out, "What's going on?" To my standard reply, "Hi, I'm drawing a line around the world," he just stared at me a little crossed eyed (maybe that was because I had to lean in very close to his face to be heard above the noise of his truck) and put his foot on the gas.

So far I have done just slightly more that 1.5 miles of the Line Around the World. There is more fun ahead!

Here it is all in one shot.
 
Jonathan


No comments:

Post a Comment