Friday, October 29, 2010

The Point Finally


Okay here it is, there is nothing sweeter than running a pen out of ink. Nothing. There are probably some people out there that are snickering and saying to themselves, “Oh I can think of a couple of things that are sweeter than that.” But as an older and perhaps more experienced person I will mildly disagree.

“How about the Cheese Cake Factory Pies?” you are probably asking. Been there, done that. They are good, but I will insist that writing the last word out of a pen you have carried around for months far surpasses any dessert offered anywhere.

I mean look at this:



This is the only Ball Point Point that I am positively sure that I personally used up. I used it for the last part of my first maze and the first part of my second maze. I also wrote many entries in my journal with it.

It might not seem like all that big of a deal, and for all I know everybody reading this has a junk drawer in the kitchen filled with spent pens. I'm just saying that for me it has been a very difficult to achieve this feat. First of all, a pen is quite easy to lose. It might fall out your pocket or roll off and behind your desk. Someone could see it laying around on your desk and accidentally walk off with it.

Or, and this is the most difficult circumstance, someone asks if he can borrow your pen. They can see it sticking out of your pocket and might even point at it. You will have to say no. Sometimes the person will ask again, maybe reaching out his hand for it. You know that if you let him write something with it, any little thing at all, then this guy will share some of the credit of using up that pen.

Oh, I suppose that is the Christian thing to do. Let the sorry pen moocher use the thing. Heck, you might as well let him keep it. And since he asked for your pen, you might as well give the bum your pencil too.

I found this link that demonstrates that I'm not the only person that might feel this way.



Here is a quick video that shows how you might discourage people from asking to borrow your pen. Of course I'm don't want to promote this sort of thing.





Since I'm a little more charitable than these two folks, I've only managed to run out this one pen. It is the difficulty of the feat that makes it such a thrill.



Jonathan

1 comment:

  1. I heard why the wife wanted to borrow your pen! Oh my gosh, was that a funny story!!

    ReplyDelete