Friday, October 22, 2010

An Earlier Age Part Two

Back to the point I was starting to make in a previous post. I have a vivid recollection of a commercial with a guy demonstrating a pen. At least I'm fairly sure it was a guy. He was out in the middle of a highway, or maybe it was out on the Bonneville Salt Flats. He was holding a spanking new Bic, or maybe it was a PaperMate pen. He proudly informed the audience that with this pen we would be able to draw a line skip and drip free completely around the earth. Then he preceded to do just that on a long sheet of newsprint laid out on the highway dividing line or Salt Flat or whatever. They didn't show him drawing very far, maybe ten feet, maybe a hundred, but I think they cut away while he was still going. Whatever, it is quite vivid to me though. And he did make a lasting image in my young and impressionable mind. The image is of a really really long line.

My crack research staff over at Google and YouTube were unable to uncover this commercial for me when I asked them, so I can't show it to you. Too bad because I'm sure you would be impressed as much as I was. I mean, think of it, there inside that cheap ball point pen resides a line that could stretch clear around the earth.

With a pen like that I could, dare I say it … Rule The World …. (maniacal laughter)

Jonathan


No comments:

Post a Comment