Saturday, October 23, 2010

Closing In On The Point



I bought this 2 pack of pens at Wallgreen's the other day. They cost me 2.99 plus tax. It is annoying that they weren't on sale, but the fine point pens never seem to be. These are the kind of ball point pens I have been using lately, but I have no emotional attachment to this pack of pens. If it burst into flames in my hand I would remain unmoved. I'd probably scream, throw the pens to the floor and stamp up and down on them to put the flames out, remaining unmoved throughout, emotionally that is.



Now, this pen is the same kind, a little worst for wear. The clip broke off a couple of weeks ago. I use it at work and for rough drafts of letters and journal entries. The ink is water proof which makes it more practical than my fountain pens for some tasks. Despite its similarity to the new pens, I have a strong emotional attachment to this old pen. I would spend hours searching for it if I lost it. What is the difference?



Look. The level of the ink in the old pen is roughly half of that of the new pen. That means that I've written my way halfway around the world with it. The closer to empty this pen gets, the closer I get to another circuit of the planet. At least in my own mind. Some might quibble with this reasoning. Never the less … it seems true to me.

Jonathan



No comments:

Post a Comment