Thursday, October 21, 2010

An Earlier Age

Pens seem to have lost some of the gravitas they had in an earlier age. By 'an earlier age' I mean way back in the 1970's. This is a time for most Bloggers that is as remote as World War II was to me back in the Seventies. And by 'gravitas', I merely mean 'importance'. It just sounded more important to say gravitas.

The measure of importance is universally acknowledged to be, the TV commercial. When was the last time you saw a TV commercial for a pen? It may surprise many of you readers out there of the younger persuasion, but in the Seventies the makers of pens spent millions (well maybe back then it was only thousands) of dollars to convince us that we had to have the latest and greatest 49 cent ball point pen. They were the biggest thing in the new age of information. They were back then what ipads and Blackberries are for us today. At least in the measure that counts, TV commercials.


For a laugh, here are a couple of commercials from that earlier age:



and,





Well, I'm sure they spent at least hundreds of bucks on those!

Anyway there is a point to all this, and that point is. Ah … I'll get back to you when I remember what I was thinking.

Jonathan


No comments:

Post a Comment