Friday, June 17, 2011

Goulet Pen's June 2011 Ink Drop - Part 2

The Ink Drop for the month of June is entitled “Blue Skies”, so it is no surprise that the samples are mostly blue inks. For my first test maze I chose the J. Herbin Bleu Nuit and the Sailor Jentle Sky High. The J. Herbin was sucked up into one of my Pilot Vanishing Points and the Sailor Jentle went into my Ducati Limited.

The test maze that resulted from these two inks was an attempt to try something new. A checkerboard effect was what I was attempting, but there is not enough difference in these inks for the effect to be obvious. This is what it ended up looking like:


Both inks behaved beautifully with no smudging or smearing. Since I always use Fine nibs I don't get much shading, but it looks as if the Sailor Jentle Sky High would shade very well. Depending on the side of the nib which was the leading edge of the line, the color would vary from a light blue to a rich medium blue. The J. Herbin produced a line which was of a more consistent color. It looks slightly dull compared to the Sky High. When I see the two inks side by side I prefer the Sailor Jentle. After my struggles with the Noodler's Cactus Fruit Eel from last month I very much appreciated the quick drying properties of these two inks. By the way the Cactus Fruit Eel makes a very small appearance in this maze in a couple of spots. I picked up the wrong pen a couple of times. That red would go great with these two blues.

Here is the scanned and lightly edited version of the maze.


Two more test mazes have been completed and there is only one left to draw. The thought of using the Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-gao in one of my Noodler's Fountain pens intrigues me since a bottle of that ink costs twice as much as the pen. That will be a fun experiment.

Jonathan


No comments:

Post a Comment