Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Goulet Pen's June 2011 Ink Drop - Finale

The last sample to test from the June Ink Drop was the Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-gao. I saved this ink for last because it is the priciest of the bunch. The thought of trying this ink in one of Noodler's 14 dollar fountain pens intrigued me even though I would normally use it in one of my Pilot Vanishing Point pens. So I inked up one of my Noodler's pens with this upscale ink and used it to draw my final June test maze.

I paired the Asa-gao with the Noodler's Nightshade in my other Noodler's pen. Here is the real life version of the resulting maze.


As you can see there was plenty of smudging, smears and messes to screw up the work. The biggest blotch happened on the left hand side of the maze when the pen spilled out a huge drop of the Asa-gao. Up to that point the pen and ink had done fairly well. Let's be frank. The Noodler's pens have problems and are not ideally suited for precise work. The nib is relatively large and nail-like which makes it difficult to pick up a line for a continuation. The line varies in width quite a bit which can be a plus, but not for the mazes. But they are inexpensive and adequate for normal writing. Ink evaporates from the pen quite quickly, though this can be slowed by taping over the hole in the side of the cap.

Still it was surprising and disappointing to see a blob of ink spill from the pen. The cause, I believe, was an accidental twist of the knob on the end of the pen which forced too much ink to the nib. It was probably my fault.

The Pilot Iroshizuku is a great ink though. The color is a bold bright blue reminding me a bit of the Bay State Blue. It is better behaved than that blue. It shades a little even with this smallish nib. It dries quickly as well which I like. If I were a rich man, I'd buy it and all of the Pilot Iroshizuku colors. Sadly … that will have to wait.

Here is the scanned and edited version for solving.

Well, that do it for the June Ink Drop. I have a couple of days before the July Ink Drop drops in.

Jonathan




No comments:

Post a Comment