Friday, January 28, 2011

The Trip Is Over - Sigh

Well, I'm back from my much anticipated trip to the New Camaldoli Hermitage. This was the second year running that I have made a trip down to Big Sur to stay at the monastery retreat house. This year the weather was warm and clear all six days and five nights. It made it a much more pleasant stay than last year's storms and rain. I probably spoke less than ten words while I was up there, but I did one trip up to Monterey and Carmel midweek where I got to talk to various people.

The whole point of these retreats, whether for spiritual renew or as in my case as an working trip, is to experience total solitude and silence. You might come face to face will another person in the common kitchen when it is time to pick up your midday meal, but heavens, don't say a word. Usually I couldn't help but smile and say, “Hi.” Everyone was older than I and probable thought I was the frivolous kid on the block.

I didn't finish my fourth maze. I got through page 88. Only two more pages to go. Here is where I worked most of the time there. Each room had its own private garden overlooking the sea.



The good news is that I rolled out my Line Around The World four times during the trip. It was very exciting, pitting Man (me) and Art (the Line) against Nature (everything else). I will begin posting the updates on Tuesday.

Here is my favorite place to sit up at the monastery. The bench is on the driveway that leads to the Hermitage. From up here you can see the vastness of the ocean and still hear the breakers down below. I want to go back!


Monday I will have the next page of the first maze.



Jon

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I really think you were a bit too much for those older people. Imagine! The audacity of saying "hello"! Maybe "hi" would've been a bit more appropriate, don't you know. Not so hard on the ole nervous system. Yes, I enjoy the vhastness of the ocean, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I just noticed that you did say "hi". Sorry about that, Chief! (That's for you baby boomers)

    ReplyDelete