Saturday, January 1, 2011

Musical Interlude - Robert Carty

It is at this time of year that one of the community radio stations I listen to does their Visionary Music Marathon. It is a fund raiser for the station. The station is KKUP which was until last year located not far from where the end of my Line Around The World is now. They have since moved to a studio somewhere in San Jose. Unlike most of the public TV or radio fund raisers, this annual one does not bother me much. In fact I truly look forward to it each year. For two, three or (one glorious year) four days they play visionary music nonstop. Hey, wait a minute … I think ... that may be why they call it the Visionary Music Marathon. Anyway, as I write this I have it on in the background.


In one of my earlier musical interludes I posted a YouTube video by an artist that falls in this genre of music. That was Robert Carty. One more artist who is somewhat similar in style is a very prolific composer named Steve Roach. Here is a very cool video featuring his music.

Sorry that the embed code is not working, but here is the link to YouTube.



Wouldn't it be a blast to travel on a star ship across the galaxy like this. One reason I enjoy this kind of music is that it brings me the illusion of the eternal. It helps me work on my mazes because it makes time seem more plentiful and spacious. Sure, I may be drawing something that no one will ever solve, but what the heck, you have to do something with your time and it was just blank paper before I started.

I think it was sometime this year, or it may have been last year, I discovered an awesome website. It plays this kind of music 24/7/365 (hey, I'm hip!). Now I don't have to wait for these once a year specials. I can tune in and zone out and work anytime. The site is StillStream.com. Sometimes you can even chat with the artists in the chat area.

On Monday I will have the next page of the maze and on Tuesday I will have another update on the Line.

Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment