Friday, March 25, 2011

Goulet Pens March 2011 Ink Drop - Part Two

The second ink of the March Ink Drop to put through its paces was the J. Herbin Rouge Hematite. This is the Anniversary ink which J. Herbin put out last year. It was to be a limited time offering, but for various reasons has been continued for the time being. As it happens I ordered a bottle when Goulet Pens was able to have a steady supply of it. I waited until the rush was over, sort of like I do when boarding a bus. The bus arrives, a crush of people push their way to the door swinging open. An old lady is trampled in the melee of people climbing over her, and I wait calmly a few feet away. Then when the driver has helped the lady to her feet and she is shuffling down the center aisle, it is time for me to board. The advantage of this approach is that if there is more than one seat remaining I get to pick who I get to sit by instead of the other way around. It makes life much easier. Of course it has been years since I have boarded a bus. A car of my own made life even easier.

But I digress.
This second maze uses the Noodler's Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia as the base to compare to the J. Herbin Rouge Hematite. The J. Herbin offering is a very nice red very slightly towards the orange side. It seems to be a delicate ink. Maybe it is because the other ink on the page was so solid, the red had a fragile quality. It was easy to work with, dried quickly and did not smear as such. You do have to be careful with it though. If your hand rests on part of your drawing it can pick up some of the color and put it wherever else you rest your hand. This would not be a problem with letter writing by a right handed person. It wasn't really a problem for the drawing either. you just have to be careful.

It is definitely not bullet proof. It is not even waterproof, or any sort of moisture proof. This you can see in the real life picture of the maze. Just a bit of moisture and ARRRGGGH!!!!! Let's just say, editing was necessary for this maze.


The J. Herbin Rouge Hematite is a good red ink. There are some reds out there that are better as far as survivability and price are concerned. The bottle is very cool and probably will not be available forever so if you are flush with cash it is a worthwhile ink to get.

Here is the scanned and edited version.



So far in addition to these two one page mazes, I have done five pages of my fifth maze with these March Ink Drop colors. I finally was able to run out the Sepia so I could load up one pen with the Noodler's Baystate Blue. All I can say is WOW! I'll have a test maze using that ink soon.

Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment