Friday, March 4, 2011

Drawing The Line - Part 18

It seems like months ago when I laid out the most recent Segment of my Line Around The World. This section was done as I drove home from my week long trip to the New Camaldoli Hermitage in Big Sur. It was another bright clear day at the end of January, but this day the wind was stronger. The area I picked to roll out the Line was about three miles south of Bixby Bridge. This section of road is one of the few section where a person can make a pass on a slow moving RV. So even though the shoulders are wide, the cars go pass so fast that it seems a bit unsafe.

Here is the start of roll 59 looking South.




Now a shot of the start of roll 59 looking to the West. That is the Big Sur Lighthouse station out there. Notice the attempt to secure the Line with extra tape. The wind was really blowing.


It turned out that the wind was too strong for the tensile strength of cash register tape. I could only get one roll set out at a time.  Here is the view from the end of roll 59.




You can see that roll 60 has already been attached. Before rolling it out I had to gather up the roll 59. This is another stretch of the definition of the Line. This Segment will be rolled out in four segments. Now the view of roll 60.

The roll got away from me and the wind rolled the tape down the road on its own. After gathering this segment up, I prepared roll 61. Here it is looking west again.



As you can see, I found a rock to help secure the Line. I sure could have used some of the rocks from the previous area where the rock fall was. This segment rolled pass the entrance to the Lighthouse Station. In this North looking view from the end of roll 61 you can see the driveway.



After attaching roll 62, I went back to gather roll 61 up. I took a closer look of the sign on the gate to the Lighthouse. Here it is.



I wonder what the crime rate is out here in the middle of nowhere. Judging by the number of locks on the gate it must be about as high as New York City.



Here is the start of roll 62 after roll 61 was recovered.


The roll of tape is getting blown away here. Here is a view of from the middle of the roll showing the effect of the wind.




Here we are looking North from the end of roll 62. The white pickup up back there at the gate is a ranger's truck. I figured that it would take him about half and hour to unlock all those lock and drive through the gate. It didn't.


Here is view from the end of roll 62 looking to the South West.


That brings you up to date on the work done on my Line Around The World Project. I hope that you enjoyed these segments from far flung sections of the Line. Now it is time to get back to work on the Northern end of the Line.

Jonathan

1 comment:

  1. Those stinkin' locks wouldn't stop ME! I'd just jump over that gate! Pretty clever, huh?

    Beautiful pictures...Wish I was there.

    ReplyDelete