Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Goulet Pen's September 2011 Ink Drop - Part 2

All five of the ink samples in Goulet Pen Company's September Ink Drop have a travel destination in their name. For the first page of this month's test maze I decided to pair up Diamine Monaco Red and Caran d' Ache Grand Canyon Brown. While Monaco is a place I'm very unlikely to every make it to (unless I get very rich from selling mazes for thousands of dollars per page), I actually visited the Grand Canyon last summer.

The Monaco Red is a good red. When I think Monaco I think of the Formula One race there, and when I think of Formula One, I think of Ferrari. The Diamine Monaco Red is not Ferrari red. It leans a bit too much to the pink instead of the passionate scarlet red of Ferrari. Still it is a very good ink. It dries quickly. I didn't have any smudging or smearing.

The Caran d'Ache Grand Canyon Brown is also very good. I like this brown because it is a neutral brown. I used it in two pages of this month's maze and in both cases it really works well with the color it was paired with. It also dries very quickly and is easy to work with. It is the color of wet sand, or the color of fair skin under a sun hat. It would make a handy brown for art work. But maybe not for signing legal paperwork.

Here is a picture of the first page of the maze along with the two Pilot Vanishing Points I used to draw it.


Here is a picture of me at the Grand Canyon last year. I really didn't have a chance to look at the view, because I was working on my fourth maze. I heard that it was impressive though.

Here is a picture of the actual canyon. Wow, it is big! I'll have to go back and take a look at it.  The Caran d'Ache Grand Canyon would work great to sketch this.

That's it for today.
Jonathan


No comments:

Post a Comment