Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Goulet Pen's August 2011 Ink Drop - Part 3

For the second page of my test maze that I'm drawing for the August Ink Drop I paired Noodler's Blue Nose Bear with Montegrappa Bordeaux. The Blue Nose Bear was already in one of my Pilot Vanishing Point pens, but the Montegrappa I decided to use in my Ducati Limited. An Italian ink in an Italian pen.

I already talked about the Blue Nose Bear in a previous post, but I will restate that used in a Fine nib on good fountain pen paper I had zero problems with bleeding or feathering. According to what I have read in reviews this can be an issue with larger nibs and different paper. This was actually one of Noodler's better behaved inks for my pens and paper because it dried quickly. Paired with the Bordeaux the Blue Nose Bear looks very much greener than it did with the Aurora Black.

The Montegrappa Bordeaux is a deep rose color. At first it seemed slightly wet and watery to me, but that feeling went away as I used it. There was definite shading even with a Fine nib and I would imagine that it would look great with a Broad nib. This ink took a little longer to dry than the Blue Nose Bear and as a result I had a couple smudges on the drawing. It is not a problem really, you just have to be careful where you rest you hand.

Montegrappa makes some amazing limited edition pens that cost an arm and leg to buy. Here is their site so that you can take a peek. I'm sure they are worth it, as long as they don't take my right arm. Even the production models are on the pricey side. Maybe someday I will win the Lottery and buy one of each. Until then I will have to be satisfied with the ink which is in my price range. With the Ink Drop discount I get for being a member of the club it is quite reasonable.

Anyway, here is what this page of the maze looks like with the pens I used beside it.


I will post a scanned and edited version of it after I finish constructing the entire maze.



Jonathan


No comments:

Post a Comment